TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - ZSpeed shifter alignment update.
People Seeking Info

Subject ZSpeed shifter alignment update.

Posted by Tanley on July 23, 2015 at 10:17 PM
  This message has been viewed 769 times.

Message Here is the link to the original thread:

http://www.twinturbo.net/nissan/300zx/forums/technical/view/1151378/Anyone-have-a-trick-to-perfectly-align-the-Zspeed-shifter.html

So I got the Z up in the air today and attempted to realign the shifter bracket. Couple things I noticed right off the bat. First the buzzing was coming from the rear shifter stud button hitting the shifter plate. Second thing was I could see that the shifter was adjusted too far to the rear. Reason being when I installed the shifter I also installed new motor mounts and a new transmission mount, this left the shifter high and the only way the bracket would fit without hitting the transmission tunnel was to install it adjusted all the way to the rear. Now that I've put a few miles on the Z since then the mounts have settled and I now have much more room for adjustment. The way I did it was I removed everything from the top of the shifter (knob, trim, boot and cover plate) and used the u-joint as my guide for adjustments left and right and then centering the shifter grease seal to guide the front to rear adjustment. By looking at the edges of the u-joint you can get a pretty good reference point to help you left and right. I aligned the u-joint for the striker rod to be coming straight out of the transmission. I believe this is the way it should be? If it is normally at an angle maybe someone can chime in? Next I centered the shifter in the grease boot to align it forward and back. If it is too far forward the shifter will be at an angle and it will be touching the grease boot, same with too far back.

The buzzing is now gone as the shifter is no longer riding on the cover plate, moving the shifter forward gave the clearance I needed. However after going over some bumps I can still hear the shifter hitting the cover plate every so often. Tough to say if the shifting has improved as I am still breaking in a new clutch and haven't put the car through its paces.

Sorry, no photos weird angles and the adjustments were so small I don't think you would be able to see the changes.

One other thing, does the shifter sit slightly to the right on the Z normally? I see in a few pics it looks like it does sit slightly to the right? Or is it perfectly centered?

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.